Sunday, January 17, 2010

Smog and Ice

We've been in Ulaanbaatar since Saturday evening and the only word I can say thank you and meat.
This is so exciting! There is construction everywhere and the contrast of old and new is crazy. We have a few gers ( a round tent like structure) behind our apartment. According to Amy that's where the managers and maintenance people live because it's much more affordable.
We have finally figured out the washing machine...I think... our bathroom floor gets flooded every time we shower, the pipe at the bottom of our kitchen sink came loose and flooded our kitchen floor. Funny the things we take for granted in America. Like working plumming. We take so much for granted and bitch about the littlest things.
Our toilet paper is as soft as newspaper. The water needs to be boiled and cannot bring my self to drink it yet. So I've been living on cocoa. Thanks mom it has been a lifesaver. There's also no such thing as diet food here. So no diet cola or fat free milk. Although I'm sure I'll be fine since we're walking everywhere.
They must not know about salting the sidewalks because they are covered in ice and walking is at your own risk. Also pedestrians definitely don't have the right of way, driving regulations are completely ignored or non existent. Like no one seems surprised when you drive into oncoming traffic.
You'll have to try their sausage...something like extra thick bologna.
I'll post pictures soon.
Also I've found a wonderful art supply store and supplies are cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment